The VP of Underwriting for Excess Casualty is responsible for leading the underwriting team, evaluating risks, determining appropriate coverage, and ensuring profitable growth within the excess casualty insurance market. We are looking for someone with wholesale broker relations and a background in E&S lines of business. This role requires a deep understanding of underwriting principles, excellent leadership skills, and a keen business acumen.
- Underwriting Management:
- Lead and supervise a team of underwriters, providing guidance, training, and support.
- Evaluate and assess complex risks associated with excess casualty insurance applications.
- Develop underwriting guidelines and policies to ensure consistency and adherence to industry standards.
- Risk Assessment:
- Analyze data and market trends to assess risks accurately.
- Collaborate with the team to determine appropriate coverage and pricing for excess casualty insurance products.
- Review underwriting submissions, loss runs, and other relevant documents to make informed decisions.
- Portfolio Management:
- Manage the company's excess casualty insurance portfolio, balancing risk and profitability.
- Monitor and analyze portfolio performance, implementing strategies to achieve desired results.
- Collaborate with other departments to develop and enhance products based on market demands and customer needs.
- Relationship Management:
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with brokers, agents, and clients.
- Negotiate terms and conditions with brokers and insured parties.
- Provide exceptional customer service, addressing inquiries and concerns in a timely manner.
- Reporting and Analysis:
- Prepare detailed reports on underwriting performance, market trends, and portfolio analysis.
- Utilize data-driven insights to make strategic underwriting decisions.
- Present findings and recommendations to senior management.
- Team Development:
- Recruit, train, and develop underwriting staff.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to help team members grow professionally.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Insurance, or related field (Master's degree preferred).
- 10+ years of progressive experience in underwriting, including leadership roles.
- Strong knowledge of insurance products, underwriting principles, and risk assessment techniques.
- Exceptional leadership and team management abilities.
- Relevant industry certifications (such as CPCU) are a plus.
The VP of Underwriting for Excess Casualty plays a vital role in shaping the company's profitability and reputation within the insurance market. This role demands a combination of technical expertise, leadership skills, and strategic vision to navigate the complexities of excess casualty underwriting effectively