DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Independently review and complete most aspects of catastrophe modeling: scrubbing data, data reconciliation, importing and running AIR and RMS catastrophe models, completing ad-hoc analyses, and interpreting and presenting results to clients.
- Interact with clients by responding to internal and external questions about data preparation, models, results, and current catastrophe events.
- Support modeling of real-time scenarios during ongoing catastrophic events for clients' direct and assumed portfolios.
- Contribute to modeling aspects of corporate roll-up.
- Troubleshoot and escalate catastrophe modeling software issues as they arise.
- Assist with communicating model updates and impacts to results within actuarial team and to clients.
- Occasional travel to conferences and client offices to communicate important model changes and recent catastrophe losses and evaluate modeling assumptions.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a relevant field required (e.g., actuarial science, atmospheric science, mathematics, statistics)
- Certified Extreme Event Modeler designation or equivalent preferred
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong data manipulation skills and ability to learn new software tools.
- Proficient with SQL, Excel, and GIS software
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to critically review catastrophe model output.
- Effective teamwork and communication skills, with internal teammates and external partners
- Time-management and organizational skills - ability to work on multiple requests at any given time.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- 2+ years of modeling experience with RMS RiskLink/RiskModeler and AIR Touchstone models.
- Or 2+ years' experience as a business analyst, data analyst, data scientist or data engineer.
- Advanced ability to manipulate raw and modeled data using SQL, Excel, and other tools.
- Experience working on primary insurance company datasets.
- Knowledge of AIR/RMS catastrophe model database schemas.
- Knowledge of insurance and insurance coverages.
- Knowledge of reinsurance fundamentals.